Located at 1300 New Hampshire Avenue NW, this three-story brick home was purchased by the National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century on May 15, 1957. It was sold by the VFW to the National Society to serve as a meeting place, library and repository of records.
Today, it serves as the CDXVIIC Headquarters.
The home built by Brig. Gen. George P. Scriven in the Colonial Revival Queen Ann Style, has approximately 6,850 square feet with 23 rooms and 5 bath or powder rooms on 4 levels.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 27, 2013 in recognition of Brig. Gen Scirven who pioneered the introduction of aviation for the US Military during the years 1913-1917 and served as the 1st chairman of the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics in 1915 which was the predecessor to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Since 1957, the National Society has furnished the home with period-correct furniture while preserving its historic status through several renovations. Interior rooms are maintained by each CDXVIIC State Society.
To learn more about the interior including photos, please click on each of the following:
Main Level Second Floor Third Floor Garden Level
Today the home is a lovely place that anyone is welcomed to visit upon request. For more information about a visit, please click on Schedule a Headquarters Visit or Schedule a Library Visit in the gray bar above under the Headquarters tab.